from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the Pentastomida, a group of parasitic invertebrates.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any species of Linguatulina.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A parasitic worm-like arachnid, Pentastomum tænioides, occurring in the viscera of cattle, sheep, and other animals, and in the nostrils and frontal sinuses of dogs and wolves.
- n. A tongue-shaped worm; a tonguelet.
- n. The so-called “worm” of the tongue of some animals, as dogs; the lytta.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wormlike arthropod having two pairs of hooks at the sides of the mouth; parasitic in nasal sinuses of mammals
tongue + worm, from the resemblance of the genus Linguatula to a vertebrate tongue. (Wiktionary)