from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of amphibian.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. One of the classes of vertebrates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In popular language, animals living both on land and in the water; those which voluntarily and habitually enter that element, though not able to breathe under water, such as frogs, turtles, crocodiles, seals, walruses, otters, beavers, hippopotami, etc.
- [capitalized] In zoöl., a name variously used.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the class of vertebrates that live on land but breed in water; frogs; toads; newts; salamanders; caecilians
Sorry, no etymologies found.