from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The scientific description and analysis of the physical conditions, boundaries, flow, and related characteristics of the earth's surface waters.
- n. The mapping of bodies of water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scientific measurement and description of the physical features and conditions of navigable waters and the shoreline.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of measuring and describing the sea, lakes, rivers, and other waters, with their phenomena.
- n. That branch of surveying which embraces the determination of the contour of the bottom of a harbor or other sheet of water, the depth of soundings, the position of channels and shoals, with the construction of charts exhibiting these particulars.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of the measurement and description of the sea, lakes, rivers, and other waters, with especial reference to their use for the purposes of navigation and commerce.
- n. The distribution, character, and relations of bodies of water; the condition of the earth or any part of it with respect to its seas, rivers, etc.: as, the hydrography of North America.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the science of the measurement and description and mapping of the surface waters of the earth with special reference to navigation
hydro- + -graphy (Wiktionary)