American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Literary study or classical scholarship.
- n. See historical linguistics.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The love or the study of learning and literature; the investigation of a language and its literature, or of languages and literatures, for the light they cast upon men's character, activity, and history. The word is sometimes used more especially of the study of literary and other records, as distinguished from that of language, which is called
linguistics; often, on the other haud, of the study of language or of languages. See quotation under comparative philology, below.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. rare Criticism; grammatical learning.
- n. The study of language, especially in a philosophical manner and as a science; the investigation of the laws of human speech, the relation of different tongues to one another, and historical development of languages; linguistic science.
- n. A treatise on the science of language.
- n. the humanistic study of language and literature
- First coined 1614, from Old French philologie, from Ancient Greek φιλολογία (philologia, "love of argument or reasoning, love of learning and literature"), from φίλος (philos, "loved, beloved, dear, friend") + λόγος (logos). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English philologie, from Latin philologia, love of learning, from Greek philologiā, from philologos, fond of learning or of words : philo-, philo- + logos, reason, speech; see -logy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“One day a fellow-student, who pleased himself with what he called philology, remarked that his father must have been a hit of a humorist to name him Peregrine: -- "except indeed it be a family name!" he added.”
“After World War II, when I was working on a major in philology at Moscow State University, I chose to study American literature and to analyze the problem of "Jack London as a novelist.”
“This moment in philology was brought to you by the late J.R.R. Tolkein. gringro”
“He wished to put literary study, which then passed by the name philology, upon a rigorous scientific footing.”
“The discussion over at The One Ring, then, seems to be less about the idea of philology, but more about the potential suggestion that those without training in philology should sit down, shut up, and listen to the Annointed Priests of Philology and Literature.”
“Jutta Dick has degrees in German philology, history and philosophy.”
“How would you characterize his early interest in philology?”
“I had taken three years of Russian at Dartmouth and then I got a graduate fellowship in Russian philology at the University of Edinburgh.”
“The passion of the Russians and Chinese, under Communism, for archaeology, for the exact restoration of early buildings and structures, and for early philology is evidence of the scholarly and scientific validity and usefulness of archaeology, linguistic reconstruction, art history.”
“For the sake of first-hand access to important modern authorities in Latin philology, the candidate is required to have a good reading knowledge of German and French.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘philology’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Wordsmithing, linguistics, logic, and grammar
All that is loved - from sublime to macabre - in this world and beyond...
Words that (mostly) only linguists know.
a collection of strange, unusual, hidden and forgotten ideas and beliefs
No particular specification to this list.
Looking for tweets for philology.