from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes.
- n. A body of myths associated with an event, individual, or institution: "A new mythology, essential to the . . . American funeral rite, has grown up” ( Jessica Mitford).
- n. The field of scholarship dealing with the systematic collection and study of myths.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The collection of myths of a people, concerning the origin of the people, history, deities, ancestors and heroes.
- n. A similar body of myths concerning an event, person or institution.
- n. Pervasive elements of a fictional universe that resemble a mythological universe.
- n. The systematic collection and study of myths.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of myths; a treatise on myths.
- n. A body of myths; esp., the collective myths which describe the gods of a heathen people.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of myths; the science which investigates myths with a view to their interpretation and to discover the degree of relationship existing between the myths of different peoples; also, the description or history of myths.
- n. A system of myths or fables in which are embodied the convictions of a people in regard to their origin, divinities, heroes, founders, etc. See myth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. myths collectively; the body of stories associated with a culture or institution or person
- n. the study of myths
They fear the blue, which, in mythology, is the color of purity and holiness.
It is really fascinating to learn about Hinduism and the mythology surrounding it it is not disrespectful to use the term mythology since Brinda used it when telling me some of the stories.
The term mythology refers to the often sci-fi based worlds and sets of rules under which the shows operate.
This mythology is archaic and a colossal waste of time and resources.
It is based in mythology, which is something that I always found quite interesting.
So we get a lot of this stuff that becomes what I call the mythology of maleness.
A Naiad Nymph was Minthe in Greek mythology, that is a spirit being who watched over a specific water features like a stream, spring or lake.
They pertain both to gods and men, and are connected with what we call mythology, which possesses no historical importance, although it is full of interest for its poetic life.
During his career, Jack Kirby worked on several comics that had their origins in mythology such as Thor (Norse Mythology) and The Eternals (various mythologies combined) and he even created his own mythological ethos with his Fourth World series.
Let me say here that a dybbuk, according to Jewish mythology, is the soul of a dead person that refuses to submit to divine authority after death in the heavenly courts.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.