from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of zoology that deals with the study of birds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The branch of zoology that deals with the scientific study of birds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That branch of zoölogy which treats of the natural history of birds and their classification.
- n. A treatise or book on this science.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of zoölogy which relates to birds; the scientific study or knowledge of birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of zoology that studies birds
From modern Latin ornithologia, coined by Ulisse Aldrovandi from Ancient Greek ὀρνιθολόγος (ornithologos), from ὄρνις (ornis) and λόγος (logos). (Wiktionary)