from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of causes or origins.
- n. The branch of medicine that deals with the causes or origins of disease.
- n. Assignment of a cause, an origin, or a reason for something.
- n. The cause or origin of a disease or disorder as determined by medical diagnosis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of aetiology.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of causes. Same as �tiology.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cause of a disease
- n. the philosophical study of causation
Late Latin aetiologia, from Greek aitiologiā : aitiā, cause + -logiā, -logy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)