American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The study of the nature, effects, and detection of poisons and the treatment of poisoning.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of medicine which treats of poisons and their antidotes, and of the effects of excessive doses of medicines.
- n. sciences, pharmacology The branch of pharmacology that deals with the nature, effect, detection and treatment of poisons and poisoning.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The science which treats of poisons, their effects, antidotes, and recognition; also, a discourse or treatise on the science.
- n. the branch of pharmacology that deals with the nature and effects and treatments of poisons
- From French toxicologie, from toxico- + -logie. (Wiktionary)
“Today, toxicology is a well-studied science and the Poison Control Center would like to replace some of the old tales with established scientific facts.”
“The nurses and pharmacists who answer our hotline collaborate with a group of clinical and medical toxicology consultants, all of whom are board-certified in toxicology and who maintain 24-hour on-call availability.”
“A medical student doing a rotation in toxicology at the poison control center took a call from a woman very upset because she caught her little daughter eating ants.”
“The Government and its National Research Council made use of his experience in toxicology, soon after the outbreak of World War II, by sending him to the United Kingdom to determine how Canada could assist if the enemy resorted to chemical warfare.”
“The conditions that must be met for a GRAS status assignment are very rigorous and include long-term toxicology testing”
“But doing a standard autopsy report, especially if there's involvement with the coroners, it would take assessment for toxicology, that is standard procedure.”
“GENFIT plans to expand its 2009 investment by rapidly launching new phase II trials and long term toxicology studies, with the ultimate aim of concluding a license agreement with a top pharmaceutical company within the next 12-18 months. ”
“Thus, by giving an enlarged sense to the word -- for words ever strive to keep pace, if possible, with scientific progress, we get our modern and significant expression toxicology as the science of poisons and of poisoning.”
“He began by inaugurating a series of experiments in toxicology.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘toxicology’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
of or relating to poisons
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for toxicology.