from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The science that analyzes and compares human cultures, as in social structure, language, religion, and technology; cultural anthropology.
- n. The branch of anthropology that deals with the origin, distribution, and characteristics of human racial groups.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The branch of anthropology that studies and compares the different human cultures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of the division of mankind into races, their origin, distribution, and relations, and the peculiarities which characterize them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of the races of men and of their character, history, customs, and institutions. See the extract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of anthropology that deals with the division of humankind into races and with their origins and distribution and distinctive characteristics
From Ancient Greek ἔθνος (ethnos, "a people, nation") + -λογία (-logía, "-logy, branch of study, to speak") (Wiktionary)