from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of minerals, including their distribution, identification, and properties.
- n. A book or treatise on mineralogy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The branch of petrology that studies minerals.
- n. Its mineral materials.
- n. A treatise on mineralogy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of minerals, and teaches how to describe, distinguish, and classify them.
- n. A treatise or book on this science.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science which treats of the properties of mineral species (see mineral), which teaches how to characterize, distinguish, and classify them, and which investigates their occurrence in nature with reference to their mode of formation (paragenesis) and the alteration which they may have undergone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of geology that studies minerals: their structure and properties and the ways of distinguishing them
mineral + -logy (Wiktionary)