from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The geophysical science of earthquakes and the mechanical properties of the earth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of the vibration of the Earth's interior caused by natural and unnatural sources, such as earthquakes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of earthquakes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The branch of science which has for its object the investigation of the causes and effects of earthquakes, and, in general, of all the conditions and circumstances of their occurrence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of geology that studies earthquakes
From Ancient Greek σεισμός (seismos, "earthquake") and -λογία (-logia, "study of"). (Wiktionary)