from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The science that deals with the phenomena of the atmosphere, especially weather and weather conditions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The science that deals with the study of the atmosphere and its phenomena, especially with weather and weather forecasting.
- n. The atmospheric phenomena in a specific region or period.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of the atmosphere and its phenomena, particularly of its variations of heat and moisture, of its winds, storms, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science which treats of the motions and phenomena of the earth's atmosphere; the scientific study of weather and climate, their causes, changes, relations, and effects. Abbreviated meteorology
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. predicting what the weather will be
- n. the earth science dealing with phenomena of the atmosphere (especially weather)
French météorologie, from Greek meteōrologiā, discussion of astronomical phenomena : meteōron, astronomical phenomenon; see meteor + -logiā, -logy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From meteor + -logy: Ancient Greek μετέωρος (metéōros, "high in the sky") + -logy ("study"), meaning "the study of the sky". (Wiktionary)