from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The science or art of cultivating fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants.
- n. The cultivation of a garden.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The art or science of cultivating gardens; gardening.
- n. Small scale agriculture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cultivation of a garden or orchard; the art of cultivating gardens or orchards.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The cultivation of a garden; the art of cultivating or managing gardens.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cultivation of plants
Latin hortus, garden; see gher-1 in Indo-European roots + (agri)culture.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
17th century, from the Latin word hortus ("garden") + culture (on the model of agriculture). (Wiktionary)