from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of the forms of life existing in prehistoric or geologic times, as represented by the fossils of plants, animals, and other organisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Study of the forms of life existing in prehistoric or geologic times, especially as represented by fossils.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of the ancient life of the earth, or of fossils which are the remains of such life.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of the former life of the globe; the study of the life of former geologic periods; that branch of biology which treats of fossil organisms, and especially of fossil animals; paleozoölogy and paleobotany. Also called oryctozoölogy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the earth science that studies fossil organisms and related remains
paleo- (“ancient”) + onto- (“being”) + -logy (“study”) (Wiktionary)