American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Application of biological principles to the study and design of engineering systems, especially electronic systems.
- n. The design of engineering systems, especially electronic ones, based on that of biological systems.
- n. biomimetics
- n. application of biological principles to the study and design of engineering systems (especially electronic systems)
- From bio- + electronics (Wiktionary)
- bi(o)- + (electr)onics. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Thanks to a couple of bad TV-series in the 70’s, the word bionics is mis-used to mean cybernetics.”
“So I guess what I am getting to is that I really love the idea of "bionics" and the ability to rebuild people and make them better.”
“Lee Majors always slowed down and made those springy musical noises whenever his "bionics" clicked on.”
“I also feel that humans will advance there bodies by biological means and not the artificial, and that even at first if we do use artificial means such as bionics and A.I. tech, we will finally use the biological option.”
“Josiah Cain of Design Ecology is exploring what he calls "ecological bionics," combining natural infrastructure and high design to improve urban areas.”
“I guess they could saw off the other leg and go bionic with both, but bionics are expensive.”
“If there's a space race today, bionics could be it.”
“The big breakthrough, for whichever company dominates the bionics market, will be size.”
“National Geographic photo essay on the current state of prosthetic bionics.”
“Labels: artificial limbs, bionics, cyborg comments:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bionics’.
art; science; activities
Words describing a future that may or may not be entirely grounded in reality. Not to be used for predictive purposes. I do not have the gift of premonition. In fact, all these ideas come from popu...
Cribbed from Transhumanist Terminology at aleph.se, which has definitions, and is itself based on the Lextropicon.
Looking for tweets for bionics.