from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of biology that deals with heredity, especially the mechanisms of hereditary transmission and the variation of inherited characteristics among similar or related organisms.
- n. The genetic constitution of an individual, group, or class.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The branch of biology that deals with the transmission and variation of inherited characteristics, in particular chromosomes and DNA.
- n. The genetic makeup of a specific individual or species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That portion of evolutionary science which deals with natural development uncomplicated by human purpose or artificial process.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of biology that studies heredity and variation in organisms
Ancient Greek γένεσις (genesis, "origin"). Ultimately from γίγνομαι (gignomai, "I come into being"). (Wiktionary)