from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The biological study of the functions of living organisms and their parts.
- n. All the functions of a living organism or any of its parts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A branch of biology that deals with the functions and activities of life or of living matter (as organs, tissues, or cells) and of the physical and chemical phenomena involved.
- n. The study and description of natural objects; natural science.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of the phenomena of living organisms; the study of the processes incidental to, and characteristic of, life.
- n. A treatise on physiology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. l. Natural philosophy.
- n. The sum of scientific knowledge concerning the functions of living things.
- n. A treatise on physiology or the functions of living organisms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. processes and functions of an organism
- n. the branch of the biological sciences dealing with the functioning of organisms
Your species assumes that your physiology is the pinnacle of evolution.
On whatever ground we term physiology, science, psychology is entitled to the same appellation; and the method of investigation which elucidates the true relations of the one set of phenomena will discover those of the other.
It might well be that investments and actions based on the scientific understanding of what I call the physiology of the planet are the key to human welfare in the 21st century.
The mechanisms of how mindfulness alters brain and body physiology is under investigation by labs around the world, but preliminary findings demonstrate changes in brain function and structure, immune cytokines, stress hormones and gene expression patterns, to name a few.
Learning about something's physiology is very helpful to most people regardless of how they use the information.
He's a�physiologist at Cambridge University, and he received the prize in physiology and medicine for his work on in-vitro fertilization.
These changes in physiology, initiated by the autonomic nervous system, are reliable predictors that a man is about to get violent, but normally go unnoticed unless the man is trained to pay conscious attention to these reactions.
Sweden will also issue three stamps with the motifs featuring the back of the medals in physiology or medicine, physics and chemistry, and literature.
"Men and women have differences in physiology," he says, "which might have to do with [early] access to different kinds of food."
"The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institute has today decided to award the Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine 2010 to Robert Edwards for the development of in-vitro fertilization," Hansson said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.