American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The scientific study of the biological, psychological, and sociological phenomena associated with old age and aging.
- n. the study of the elderly, and of the aging process itself.
- n. the branch of science that deals with the problems of aged people. It is to be distinguished from geriatrics, which is the study of the diseases of the elderly. Gerontology covers the social, psychological and biological aspects of aging.
- n. the branch of medical science that deals with diseases and problems specific to old people
- From Ancient Greek γέρων (gerōn, "old man"). (Wiktionary)
“[Fayetteville Observer, 11-26-95] • A 2000 Charlotte Observer stated Perdue earned a doctorate in gerontology in”
“• A 1987 Charlotte Observer article stated, After earning a doctorate in gerontology in 1976, she developed a career as a consultant in health care problems of the elderly, specializing in community-based programs.”
“For Lisa Hummel, service learning not only helped guide her to a career path in gerontology, but also helped her develop a sense of civic responsibility.”
“Geriatricians complete an additional year of study during a geriatric fellowship; nurses can become accredited in gerontology by taking an exam offered through The American Nurses Credentialing Center.”
“USATODAY. com - Top 10 skills to get ahead in gerontology”
“But gerontology is an emotionally demanding professional area.”
“If you pursue technical training and hands-on experience in gerontology, you will find yourself always in great demand with opportunities in any geographical area.”
“Steven Applewhite, an associate professor in the UH Graduate College of Social Work and an expert in Hispanic gerontology, says people who are entering old age face a myriad of challenges including racial disparities in health care, depletion of resources and changing cultural values and traditions.”
“While certification by august bodies does not completely protect you from an unscrupulous financial adviser, programs like American Institute of Financial Gerontology, www. aifg.org are highly credible and certify advisers as having skills in gerontology.”
“Mr. Stipp offers an engaging account of the burgeoning field dubbed gerontology the study of aging and of medicinal tools to block its unwanted effects.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gerontology’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A random list of things people are looking up on Wordnik.
of or relating to old age
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Looking for tweets for gerontology.