from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of physics that deals with fluids at rest and under pressure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scientific study of fluids at rest, especially when under pressure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The branch of science which relates to the pressure and equilibrium of nonelastic fluids, as water, mercury, etc.; the principles of statics applied to water and other liquids.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mathematical theory of the pressure and equilibrium of incompressible fluids.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. study of the mechanical properties of fluids that are not in motion
Sorry, no etymologies found.