from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The meteorological study of climates and their phenomena.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The science that deals with climates, and investigates their phenomena and causes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science which treats of climates and investigates their phenomena and causes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of climate; the study of the climatic conditions of different parts of the earth's surface, or of particular regions: nearly equivalent to meteorology, which is more commonly used.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meteorology of climates and their phenomena
Latin clima, from Ancient Greek κλίμα (klima, "region, zone") (originally "slope"), from κλίνω (klinō, "I slope, incline") and -λογία (-logia, "study of"). (Wiktionary)