from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of anthropology that deals with the scientific description of specific human cultures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The branch of anthropology that scientifically describes specific human cultures and societies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That branch of knowledge which has for its subject the characteristics of the human family, developing the details with which ethnology as a comparative science deals; descriptive ethnology. See ethnology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The scientific description and classification of the different races and nations of mankind. See extract under ethnology.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of anthropology that provides scientific description of individual human societies
ethno- + -graphy (Wiktionary)