American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An agent, such as heat, radiation, or a chemical, that destroys, neutralizes, or inhibits the growth of disease-carrying microorganisms.
- adj. Serving to disinfect.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to disinfect; disinfecting.
- n. An agent used for destroying the contagium or germs of infectious diseases. The disinfectants most used at present are heat, mercuric chlorid, sulphur dioxid (formed by burning sulphur), iron protosulphate, zinc chlorid, Labarraque's disinfecting solution (liquor sodæ chloratæ), and chlorinated lime, or so-called chlorid of lime (calx ehlorata). Deodorizers, or substances which destroy smells, are not necessarily disinfectants, and disinfectants do not always have an odor.
- adj. Referring to something that contains a disinfectant or has the properties of a disinfectant.
- n. A substance which kills germs and/or viruses.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. That which disinfects, especially an agent for killing or removing the microorganisms which cause infection. Commonly used disinfectants are chlorine, sodium hypochlorite solution, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol.
- adj. preventing infection by inhibiting the growth or action of microorganisms
- n. an agent (as heat or radiation or a chemical) that destroys microorganisms that might carry disease
“Then researchers dunk their hands in disinfectant and exit through the chemical shower.”
“But really I wonder if the reason for the iodine disinfectant is more because the water is not potable than there is much difference in the relative contamination of the fruits and veggies themselves.”
“Everyone always talks about "washing fruits and vegetables" and soaking in disinfectant when you live there.”
“(Soaked in disinfectant solution 12 minutes, too.)”
“Although you hear of people using either calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide for this purpose under the name "lime", the intended lime for disease epidemics, sanitizing latrines, and similar applications where large quantities of a low-cost disinfectant is needed is actually a third different lime.”
“The word disinfectant is synonymous with the term _bactericide_ or _germicide_.”
“The smell of disinfectant is quite vile and doesn’t quite go with your dinner.”
“The room already smells of disinfectant, which is more palatable than death, but less honest.”
“A disinfectant is a substance which destroys infectious material.”
“The disinfectant is a deadly poison, and whoever puts on those clothes is forever doomed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘disinfectant’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words related to blood and blood donation
Working on a project that involves many words with ANT in them. These are my favorites.
Looking for tweets for disinfectant.