from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Waste material, especially fecal matter, that is expelled from the body after digestion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any waste matter excreted from the human or animal body, or discharged by bodily organs.
- n. Animal solid waste excreted from the bowels; feces.
- n. Something which grows out of the body; hair, nails etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Matter excreted and ejected; that which is excreted or cast out of the animal body by any of the natural emunctories; especially, alvine, discharges; dung; ordure.
- n. An excrescence or appendage; an outgrowth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any matter eliminated as useless from the living body; specifically, the feces.
- n. Anything growing naturally on the living body, as hair, nails, feathers, etc.; an outgrowth or natural excrescence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. waste matter (as urine or sweat but especially feces) discharged from the body
V. i.110 (429,6) [dally with my excrement] The authour has before called the beard _valour's excrement_ in the Merchant of Venice.
Even what we call excrement still stores up the stuff of our lives.
While there have been many distinguished American winners, including Tom Wolfe and John Updike, bad sex veterans reserve a special place in their hearts for Norman Mailer, who won posthumously in 2007 for a passage in which the word "excrement" is used so alarmingly that it threatens to put a reader off sex for good.
The investigation followed persistent accusations that excrement from the newly arrived unit caused the cholera epidemic.
I wonder what those passages can have been like; the residue is replete with an obsessive interest in excrement, disease, sexual mania, and insectlike reproduction, insofar as these apply to Muslims in general and to Muslim immigrants in Europe in particular.
As his ideal being he chooses the horse, an animal whose excrement is not offensive.
Dali adds firmly that he is not, and that he regards this aberration as repulsive, but it seems to be only at that point that his interest in excrement stops.
Scat is simply what wildlife watchers call the excrement or feces of an animal.
Did you know that a year’s worth of human excrement is equivalent to 2.1 gallons of diesel?
The Beef: In a now infamous July incident, the band walked off the stage three songs into their Verizon Ampitheatre set after dive-bombing pigeons drenched them in excrement.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.