American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A scaly scurf formed on and shed from the scalp, sometimes caused by seborrhea.
- n. Scaly white dead skin flakes from the human scalp; Pityriasis capitis.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A scurf which forms on the head, and comes off in small scales or particles.
- n. a condition in which white scales of dead skin are shed by the scalp
- n. loose scales shed from the scalp
- The word is first attested in 1545; the first element is obscure, the second element derives from Northumbrian or E. Anglian dialect huff, hurf ("scab"), from Old Norse hrufa, from Proto-Germanic *hreubaz, *hreufaz (“rough, scabby”), source of Old English hrēofla ("leprosy, leper"). More at reef. (Wiktionary)
- dand-, of unknown origin + dialectal hurf, scurf (from Old Norse hrufa, crust, scab). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Metabolomics is well suited to analyzing dandruff, which isn't just skin flaking as a result of a dry scalp.”
“What it means: What most of us grew up calling dandruff is now understood to be a complicated interaction of health issues that deserve to be taken seriously.”
“Mrs. Woodruff was called dandruff, and Miss Tidy was called Untidy because she was.”
“Remember that bout of mysterious "dandruff" you had where you had to go to the dermatologist and even he couldn't figure out what was wrong?”
“In fact, the word "dandruff" barely did it justice.”
Land of the Blind
“The powder builds up in the backing until it becomes a kind of dandruff that wet-cleaning makes worse, since moisture causes it to stick to the yarns.”
“A method of removing dandruff which is highly recommended is that of rubbing olive oil into the scalp and later of removing this with a cleansing shampoo.”
“I can’t help but think my dandruff is the result of Bush's War on Iraq. posted by jann wenner at July 26, 2005 2: 14 pm”
“When the flaky skin loosens, it leaves the telltale "dandruff" flakes.”
“Learn the Ingredients in Your Skin and Hair Care Products: Artificial chemicals in personal care products can cause skin reactions such as dandruff, dryness, rashes, eczema, and acne.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dandruff’.
Substances that accumulate on the human body, whether we want them to or not.
Items of little or no value that are left behind by physical or biological processes other than passing through an alimentary canal. See also Valse's Leftovers and reesetee's Hogwash! for other tak...
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Words ending in double F
Human body sheddings, secretions, and offscum. Sometimes we gotta exuviate!
off the gound is a list of eye booger words made by trivet.
The short A as in "crappy" sounds crappy.
Looking for tweets for dandruff.