from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A disease caused by a deficiency of thiamine, endemic in eastern and southern Asia and characterized by neurological symptoms, cardiovascular abnormalities, and edema.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ailment caused by a deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B1), leading to lethargy and organ complications.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An acute disease occurring in India, characterized by multiple inflammatory changes in the nerves, producing great muscular debility, a painful rigidity of the limbs, and cachexy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A disease characterized by anemia, muscular and sensory paralysis, more or less pain, general dropsical symptoms, effusion into the serous cavities, and dyspnœa on exertion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. avitaminosis caused by lack of thiamine (vitamin B1)
Sinhalese, reduplication of beri, weakness.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowed from Sinhalese, reduplication of ... (beri, "weakness"). (Wiktionary)