from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Extreme dryness and thickening of the conjunctiva, often resulting from a deficiency of vitamin A.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A condition due to a deficiency of vitamin A where the conjunctiva and cornea become dry. The condition starts with conjunctival xerosis and night blindness and progresses to corneal xerosis and, later, a severe condition called keratomalacia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An abnormal dryness of the eyeball produced usually by long-continued inflammation and subsequent atrophy of the conjunctiva.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dry form of conjunctivitis, resulting in a thickening and skin-like condition of the conjunctiva. Also xeroma, and xerosis of the conjunctiva.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. abnormal dryness of the conjunctiva and cornea of the eyes; may be due to a systemic deficiency of vitamin A
xero- + ophthalmia (Wiktionary)