American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Extreme dryness and thickening of the conjunctiva, often resulting from a deficiency of vitamin A.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dry form of conjunctivitis, resulting in a thickening and skin-like condition of the conjunctiva. Also xeroma, and xerosis of the conjunctiva.
- n. A condition due to a deficiency of vitamin A where the conjunctiva and cornea become dry. The condition starts with conjunctival xerosis and night blindness and progresses to corneal xerosis and, later, a severe condition called keratomalacia.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) An abnormal dryness of the eyeball produced usually by long-continued inflammation and subsequent atrophy of the conjunctiva.
- n. abnormal dryness of the conjunctiva and cornea of the eyes; may be due to a systemic deficiency of vitamin A
- xero- + ophthalmia (Wiktionary)
“Vitamin A deficiency in humans, as well as rats, was later shown to produce serious eye damage (xerophthalmia) and it remains a major cause of blindness in the Third World.”
“Dry eyes (xerophthalmia, or nutritional blindness) is the most common cause of child blindness.”
“Lack of Vitamin A: Vitamin A deficiency can lead to dry-eye disease (xerophthalmia), night-blindness and eventually complete blindness.”
“Measles increases the con-sumption of vitamin A and often precipitates xerophthalmia.”
“The cornea becomes dull and pitted as in xerophthalmia.”
“· In communities where xerophthalmia is common, give 200,000 units of vitamin A once every 6 months to women who are breast feeding, and also to pregnant women during the second half of their pregnancy.”
“- Give prophylaxis against xerophthalmia: vitamin A”
“Whole milk, eggs, and liver are also rich in vitamin A. · If the child is not likely to get these foods, or if he is developing signs of night blindness or xerophthalmia, give him vitamin A, 200,000 units (60 mg. retinol, in capsule or liquid) once every 6 months.”
“Vitamin A (retinol) - for night blindness and xerophthalmia”
“Children with measles are at especially high risk of xerophthalmia, and should be given vitamin A when the illness begins.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘xerophthalmia’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words with that sequence of letters
Terms used in physiology
Looking for tweets for xerophthalmia.