Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An African dipterous insect, of the family Stomoxyidæ and genus Glossina, G. morsitans, whose bite is often fatal to some animals, as horses, cattle, and dogs.
- n. Any fly of the genus Glossina, native to Africa, that feeds on human and animal blood; known primarily as a carrier of parasitic trypanosomes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A venomous two-winged African fly (Glossina morsitans) whose bite is very poisonous, and even fatal, to horses and cattle, but harmless to men. It renders extensive districts in which it abounds uninhabitable during certain seasons of the year.
- n. bloodsucking African fly; transmits sleeping sickness etc.
- From Tswana tsetse. (Wiktionary)
“As Dr.P. J. du Toit, of the South African Veterinary Services, said in London, last month (September), when showing a colour-sound film of the spraying of tsetse-infested lands with DDT from the air: "The tsetse is the biggest problem in Africa".”
“Senegal to South Africa known as the tsetse-fly belt.”
“Another objection to traveling on either bank of the river was the prevalence of the tsetse, which is so abundant that the inhabitants can keep no domestic animals except goats.”
“The only symptom pointing to the tsetse is the arterial-looking blood, but we never saw it ooze from the skin after the bite of the gad-fly as we do now.”
“This destructive fly, which is called tsetse, is a perfect scourge in some parts of Africa.”
“Vectors depending on terrestrial ecosystems, such as tsetse flies (Glossina ssp.), are often associated with specific types of vegetation.”
“Durban, the last three hundred or so of which we had to make on foot, owing to the frequent presence of the dreadful "tsetse" fly, whose bite is fatal to all animals except donkeys and men.”
“Kemp explained that the trypanosome parasite is transmitted by the tsetse fly.”
“A team of scientists have made a revolutionary breakthrough on a parasite carried by the tsetse fly.”
“The tsetse fly bites the cattle and injects the parasite into the bloodstream.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tsetse’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Serious words that sound silly when you say them
favorite words. some are made up injokes between me and my husband or family.
Words with each letter repeated the same number of times. The pattern of repetition is tagged: 1212, 1221, 121122, 122121, 121233, 122133, 123123, 123132, 123213, 123231, 123312, 123321, 12123434, ...
Words formed from the letters in "reesetee". (See comments about "teetee" on Still more bird wirds; also see comments at retree.)
Looking for tweets for tsetse.