American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A noncancerous enlargement of the thyroid gland, visible as a swelling at the front of the neck, that is often associated with iodine deficiency. Also called struma.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a morbid enlargement of the thyroid gland on the front part and side or sides of the neck; struma. It is due to increase in the size and number of the alveoli, to accumulation in them of more or less serious, colloid material, to hyperplasia of the connective tissue, or to dilatation of the blood-vessels. The name is also somewhat loosely applied to a similar enlargement from any cause, as from carcinoma or sarcoma. The disease is frequently met with in Derbyshire, England, whence it is called
Derbyshire neck, and it is extremely prevalent in cold, moist valleys of the Alps, Andes, Himalayas, and other similar regions, as in South America. Also called bronchocele.
- n. alternative spelling of goitre.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) An enlargement of the thyroid gland, on the anterior part of the neck, usually resulting from iodine deficiency; bronchocele. It is frequently associated with cretinism, and was at one time common in mountainous regions, especially in certain parts of Switzerland. The incidence of goiter has been substantially reduced by addition of iodine to ceratin foods, such as salt.
- n. abnormally enlarged thyroid gland; can result from underproduction or overproduction of hormone or from a deficiency of iodine in the diet
- From French, either from Old French goitron (from Vulgar Latin *gutturio, from Latin guttur), or a back-formation from French goitreux ‘goitered’. (Wiktionary)
- French goitre, from Provençal goitron, from Vulgar Latin *guttūriō, guttūriōn-, throat, from Latin guttur. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Give me a saggy boob any day over some squinting Christian who says that your goiter is better and will be healed if you make out your check to CBN and mail it in today.”
“A lack of iodine in the body will result in a condition known as a goiter where the thyroid gland in the neck becomes enlarged.”
“The thyroid gland in the neck may also become enlarged, a condition known as goiter.”
“Iodine in the diet helps prevent a swelling on the throat called goiter and other problems.”
“A goiter is a swelling or big lump on the throat that results from abnormal growth of a gland called the thyroid.”
“An enlarged thyroid gland is referred to as a goiter ( "throat" L).”
“Goiter is the most common disorder of the thyroid gland; though not very serious in minor cases, it is capable of becoming very dangerous, assuming such malignant forms as exophthalmic goiter, which is marked by palpitation of the heart, nervous symptoms and protrusion of the eyes.”
“Las Meninas likely suffered from both a thyroid condition known as goiter and the genetic disorder linked to premature puberty, McCune-Albright syndrome.”
“The symptoms of hyperthyroidism include; rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure, sudden weight loss, diarrhea, excessive sweating, increased hunger, fatigue, hair loss and swelling in the neck area just below the adam's apple, called a goiter or nodule (nodules are smaller, tumor type growths).”
“One thing that occurred to me when moving here is that I could cross "goiter" off my list as something to worry about, since I would surely get enough iodine from the disinfectant.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘goiter’.
This has the potential to be the scariest list on Wordie.
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
because wordsmith is not a verb.
words that are mostly fun to say or just lovely
Tales of the Dying Earth is a 2002 anthology volume featuring four novels by Jack Vance: The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous.
My first Wordie list ... rather random, I suppose
Looking for tweets for goiter.