from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A protective covering for the head.
- n. A set of headphones; a headset.
- n. See headstall.
- n. An ornamental design, especially at the top of a page.
- n. The seat of intelligence; brains.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The head; the brain.
- n. Something covering the head.
- n. Protecting cover for the head; a helmet.
- n. A headset.
- n. A headstall.
- n. A decorative page heading.
- n. The top piece or part of various things.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Head.
- n. A cap of defense; especially, an open one, as distinguished from the closed helmet of the Middle Ages.
- n. Understanding; mental faculty.
- n. An engraved ornament at the head of a chapter, or of a page.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A helmet; specifically, an open helmet such as was worn after the abandonment of the armet; also, a hat; head-gear. See morion, cabasset, burganet.
- n. The head; especially, the head as the seat of the understanding; hence, intelligence; judgment.
- n. A decorative engraving placed at the top of the first page of a book, or at the beginning of a chapter, etc.; a head-band.
- n. The figurehead, scroll-piece, or fiddle-head under a vessel's bowsprit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a protective helmet for the head
- n. the band that is the part of a bridle that fits around a horse's head
head + piece (Wiktionary)