from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The human head, especially the top of the head: a bald pate.
- n. The mind or brain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The head, particularly the top or crown.
- n. Wit, cleverness, cognitive abilities.
- n. Alternative spelling of pâté. (finely-ground paste of meat, fish, etc.)
- n. The interior body, or non-rind portion of cheese, described by its texture, density, and color.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The head of a person; the top, or crown, of the head.
- n. The skin of a calf's head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The crown or top of the head, whether of a person or of an animal; in general, the head; the poll; the noddle: usually employed in a trivial or derogatory sense, like noddle, etc.
- n. The skin of a calf's head. Imp. Dict.
- n. Wit; cleverness; “brains”; “head.”
- n. In the fur trade, the fur from a black patch on the head of the wild rabbit.
- n. A badger.
- Weak and sickly.
- n. The flesh split obtained in splitting or leveling a side of leather.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the top of the head
- n. liver or meat or fowl finely minced or ground and variously seasoned
Middle English.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
c.1200, perhaps a shortened form of Old French patene or Medieval Latin patena, both from Latin patina ("pan, dish") (Wiktionary)
c.1700, French pâté, from Old French paste, pastée. (Wiktionary)