from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A custardlike dish of cheese, chicken, fish, or vegetables baked in a drum-shaped pastry mold.
- n. The pastry mold in which this food is baked.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A drum-shaped mould used to cook food.
- n. An individual serving of food so cooked.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A seasoned preparation, as of chicken, lobster, cheese, or fish, cooked in a drum-shaped mold; also, a pastry case, usually small, filled with a cooked mixture.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In cookery, a confection of pastry with various fillings: so called from the French name of the mold it takes its shape from.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small pastry shell for creamy mixtures of minced foods
- n. individual serving of minced e.g. meat or fish in a rich creamy sauce baked in a small pastry mold or timbale shell
French, timbal, mold; see timbal.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French timbale. (Wiktionary)