from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sliced fruit baked with sugar and spices in a deep dish, with a thick top crust.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pudding of spiced, sliced apples (or other fruit), sugar and butter, baked with a crumble topping in a deep dish
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A deep pie or pudding made of baked apples, or of sliced bread and apples baked together, with no bottom crust.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pudding made of bread and apples baked together, usually cooked with molasses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deep-dish apple dessert covered with a rich crust
Perhaps from obsolete dialectal pandoulde, custard : pan1 + dialectal dowl, to mix dough in a hurry (probably variant of dough).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)