from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Involving, existing between, or connecting two or more states.
- n. One of a system of highways extending between the major cities of the 48 contiguous United States.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to two or more states
- adj. crossing states (usually provincial state, but also e.g. multinational sense).
- n. A freeway that is part of the Interstate Highway System
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the mutual relations of States; existing between, or including, different States.
- n. An interstate highway, part of the United States Interstate Highway system.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Existing or taking place between different states, or persons in different states; especially, carried on between the States of the American Union, or by persons in one State with persons in another.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the system of highways linking major cities in the 48 contiguous states of the United States
- adj. involving and relating to the mutual relations of states especially of the United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It's not a large zoo, compared with the Atlanta Zoo, and the interstate is annoyingly near (almost directly on top of the elephants).
On the other hand, when it gets to the point that five or more prominent jurists will agree that an individual is engaged in interstate commerce when he plants a seed, and waters the soil in which the seed is planted, with the intent of consuming the resulting plant, well, there is no point in talking about constitutional limits to state power.
Modern Commerce clause jurisprudence deems relevant not just the activities but persons and things involved in interstate commerce.
Firearms are certainly products used in interstate commerce.
I like to suck the cocks of fat, butch truck drivers in interstate rest area bathrooms.
ÂThe were looking to push and test states who refused to comply with Âthe recent Supreme Court decision, Irene Morgan v. Commonwealth of Virginia (1946), which said racial discrimination could no longer happen in interstate travel.
The were looking to push and test states who refused to comply with the recent Supreme Court decision, Irene Morgan v. Commonwealth of Virginia (1946), which said racial discrimination could no longer happen in interstate travel.
My biggest problem with interstate driving, on any two-lane interstate, is the semi passing in the left lane.
Like speeding on the interstate is in the US … or like downloading copyrighted material is without the rights holders permission.
The measure “makes it unlawful for a person to sell or purchase a live animal of any prohibited wildlife species in interstate or foreign commerce,” according to a Library of Congress summary.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.