from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To bring back into use or existence.
- transitive v. To restore to a previous condition or position.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To restore somebody to a former position or rank.
- v. To bring back into use or existence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To place again in possession, or in a former state; to restore to a state from which one had been removed; to instate again.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To instate again; place again in possession or in a former state; restore to a state from which one had been removed.
- In fire insurance, to replace or repair (property destroyed or damaged).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. restore to the previous state or rank
- v. bring back into original existence, use, function, or position
re- + instate (Wiktionary)