from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Possessed at birth; inborn.
- adj. Possessed as an essential characteristic; inherent.
- adj. Of or produced by the mind rather than learned through experience: an innate knowledge of right and wrong.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Inborn; native; natural; as, innate vigor; innate eloquence.
- adj. Originating in, or derived from, the constitution of the intellect, as opposed to acquired from experience; as, innate ideas. See a priori, intuitive.
- adj. Joined by the base to the very tip of a filament; as, an innate anther.
- v. To cause to exist; to call into being.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inborn; native; natural
- adj. Originating in, or derived from, the constitution of the intellect, as opposed to acquired from experience. See A priori, Intuitive.
- adj. Joined by the base to the very tip of a filament.
- transitive v. To cause to exit; to call into being.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Inborn; natural; pertaining to the inherited constitution of body or mind; not derived or acquired from any external source; especially, native to the mind; instinctive: as, an innate tendency to virtue or vice; innate ideas.
- In botany: Borne on the apex of the supporting part: as, an innate anther, which is one that directly continues and corresponds to the apex of the filament.
- Born within; originating within the matrix, or within the substance of the plant.
- To bring or call into existence; inform.
- In biology, characteristic of a species or common to the individuals of a species, or alike in parent and in offspring; hereditary; constitutional; congenital.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being talented through inherited qualities
- adj. not established by conditioning or learning
- adj. present at birth but not necessarily hereditary; acquired during fetal development
They wished to be "loyal," but they would not surrender what they termed innate rights; they would not be taxed without representation, nor be debarred from manufacturing; nor consent to make
From this he inferred the existence of two distinct natures in man, the mental and the physical, and the existence of certain ideas which he called innate in the mind, and serving to connect it with the spiritual and invisible.
No, innate is the natural and predilection of behavior for a species which includes primate species such as “man”.
That is to say, certain innate personality traits predispose one to teaching/acting, but there are also techniques that can be learned and which can make an average actor/teacher a better one, and a good actor/teacher quite brilliant!
There is a certain innate nobility deep down in the hearts of all men, which forces them to admire a brave act, even if it is performed by an enemy.
Under this view, the race and IQ question comes down to the question of whether African IQ deficits are like dark African skin, so pervasive across all imaginable environments that calling them innate is perfectly reasonable as a first approximation, or more like African-American success in popular music, for which we require no scientific evidence to attribute to the particular combination of history, culture and sociology of the present time.
In addition, I would question whether someone can speak “unofficially” about differences between the sexes that he is calling innate while presiding over a world-class research institution.
For such are the ideological roots of racism -- a belief in innate values that come invisibly in the blood.
But, truth-be-known, scientific evidence for homosexuality being innate is far more abundant than say, scientific evidence that man created sin, due to his separation from [your] god.
A former postdoctoral research fellow with Ostrander, Melissa Fleming, has developed an assay that attempts to quantify certain innate breed-specific behavioral differences.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.