American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Located inside; inner.
- adj. Directed or moving toward the interior: an inward flow.
- adj. Of, relating to, or existing in the thoughts or mind: inward doubts.
- adj. Intimate; familiar: is inward with the right people.
- adv. Toward the inside, center, or interior.
- adv. Toward the mind or the self: thoughts turned inward.
- n. An inner or central part.
- n. An inner essence or spirit.
- n. Entrails; innards.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Toward the inside; toward the interior or center.
- Into the mind or soul.
- Situated or being within; pertaining to the interior or internal parts: as, the inward parts of a person or of a country.
- Pertaining to or connected with the intimate thoughts or feelings of the soul.
- . Intimate; familiar; confidential; private.
- Deep; low; muffled; half-audible: as, he spoke in an inward voice.
- n. The inside; especially, in the plural, the inner parts of an animal; the bowels; the viscera.
- n. plural Mental endowments; intellectual parts.
- n. An intimate.
- n. obsolete That which is inward or within; the inner parts or organs of the body; the viscera.
- n. obsolete The mental faculties.
- n. obsolete A familiar friend or acquaintance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Being or placed within; inner; interior; -- opposed to
- adj. Seated in the mind, heart, spirit, or soul.
- adj. obsolete Intimate; domestic; private.
- n. That which is inward or within; especially, in the plural, the inner parts or organs of the body; the viscera.
- n. obsolete The mental faculties; -- usually pl.
- n. obsolete An intimate or familiar friend or acquaintance.
- adv. Toward the inside; toward the center or interior.
- adv. Into, or toward, the mind or thoughts; inwardly.
- adv. toward the center or interior
- adj. directed or moving inward or toward a center
- adv. to or toward the inside of
- adj. relating to or existing in the mind or thoughts
- From Old English inneweard, corresponding to in + -ward. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English inweard. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Mental Consciousness, because he recognizes an inward self, and is turning his attention _inward_.”
“Now, since the current always runs from the positive to the negative pole, and makes its whole circuit in that direction, it will be readily seen that, from the place on the patient where the positive pole is applied, inward as far as to the central point, the direction of the current may properly be said to be _inward_; and that, from the central point to the place of the negative electrode, where the current comes out, its direction may be said to be _outward_.”
“I shall therefore use the term inward instigation of the”
“To assert and justify a thing which you call inward, real righteousness and holiness.”
“Mohler apparently thinks that looking inward is looking in the wrong direction: "Believers are called to meditate upon the Word of God -- an external Word that comes to us by divine revelation -- not to meditate by means of incomprehensible syllables.”
““They were designed to take in inward pressure from a blast event, which apparently they did: [Before the collapse] the blinds were still stacked neatly behind the window glass.””
“Freud noted that anger turned inward is depression, so it must do some good to let it out in some fashion.”
“Nearly hidden on a side street and found only after many cell phone exchanges with the others who were meeting us there, this restaurant blossoms inward from the doorway, seeming to wind through a grotto filled with art, antiques (any of which can be purchased by patrons) and tiny white lights.”
“People overseas clearly believe that too, as our outstanding success in inward investment shows.”
“Cuts his broad swathes, works inward from the edge;”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inward’.
Quiet, shy, Introverted, reserved, isolated, mysterious
she's such a joy.
A list of difficult words for L2-12 learners.
just the next words that come along
words in the nature of double spirals
Looking for tweets for inward.