from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located inside; inner.
- adj. Directed or moving toward the interior: an inward flow.
- adj. Of, relating to, or existing in the thoughts or mind: inward doubts.
- adj. Intimate; familiar: is inward with the right people.
- adv. Toward the inside, center, or interior.
- adv. Toward the mind or the self: thoughts turned inward.
- n. An inner or central part.
- n. An inner essence or spirit.
- n. Entrails; innards.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That which is inward or within; the inner parts or organs of the body; the viscera.
- n. The mental faculties.
- n. A familiar friend or acquaintance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being or placed within; inner; interior; -- opposed to
- adj. Seated in the mind, heart, spirit, or soul.
- adj. Intimate; domestic; private.
- n. That which is inward or within; especially, in the plural, the inner parts or organs of the body; the viscera.
- n. The mental faculties; -- usually pl.
- n. An intimate or familiar friend or acquaintance.
- adv. Toward the inside; toward the center or interior.
- adv. Into, or toward, the mind or thoughts; inwardly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Toward the inside; toward the interior or center.
- Into the mind or soul.
- Situated or being within; pertaining to the interior or internal parts: as, the inward parts of a person or of a country.
- Pertaining to or connected with the intimate thoughts or feelings of the soul.
- . Intimate; familiar; confidential; private.
- Deep; low; muffled; half-audible: as, he spoke in an inward voice.
- n. The inside; especially, in the plural, the inner parts of an animal; the bowels; the viscera.
- n. plural Mental endowments; intellectual parts.
- n. An intimate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. toward the center or interior
- adj. directed or moving inward or toward a center
- adv. to or toward the inside of
- adj. relating to or existing in the mind or thoughts
Middle English, from Old English inweard.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English inneweard, corresponding to in + -ward. (Wiktionary)