from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
- adj. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
- adj. Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
- adj. Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
- adj. Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.
- n. A religious folk song of African-American origin.
- n. A work composed in imitation of such a song.
- n. Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the spirit or the soul
- adj. Of or pertaining to God or a place of worship; sacred
- adj. Of or pertaining to spirits; supernatural
- n. A Christian religious song, especially one in an African-American style, or a similar non-religious song.
- n. Any spiritual function, office, or affair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of spirit; not material; incorporeal.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the intellectual and higher endowments of the mind; mental; intellectual.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the moral feelings or states of the soul, as distinguished from the external actions; reaching and affecting the spirits.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the soul or its affections as influenced by the Spirit; controlled and inspired by the divine Spirit; proceeding from the Holy Spirit; pure; holy; divine; heavenly-minded; -- opposed to
- adj. Not lay or temporal; relating to sacred things; ecclesiastical.
- n. A spiritual function, office, or affair. See spirituality, 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or being spirit in the sense of something between soul and body, or of a disembodied soul or a supernatural immaterial being.
- Pertaining to the soul, or to the higher endowments of the mind, especially when considered as a divine influence.
- Pertaining to the soul or its affections as influenced by the Divine Spirit; proceeding from or controlled and inspired by the Holy Spirit; pure; holy; sacred; divine.
- Relating to sacred things; not lay or temporal; pertaining or belonging to the church; ecclesiastical.
- The spiritual nature: opposed to physical man.
- Synonyms Spirited, etc. (see spirituous), immaterial.
- n. A spiritual thing.
- n. A spiritual person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church
- adj. concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul
- adj. resembling or characteristic of a phantom
- n. a kind of religious song originated by Blacks in the southern United States
- adj. lacking material body or form or substance
Middle English, from Old French spirituel, from Latin spīrituālis, of breathing, spiritual, from spīritus, breath; see spirit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)