from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A song of joyful praise or exultation.
- n. A fervent expression of joy or praise: "The art . . . was a paean to paganism” ( Will Durant).
- n. An ancient Greek hymn of thanksgiving or invocation, especially to Apollo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any loud and joyous song; a song of triumph.
- n. An enthusiastic expression of praise.
- v. To praise.
Latin paeān, hymn of thanksgiving, often addressed to Apollo, from Greek paiān, from Paiā, a title of Apollo.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek παιάν. (Wiktionary)