from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or practice of flattering.
- n. Excessive or insincere praise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Excessive praise or approval, which is often insincere and sometimes contrived to win favour.
- n. An instance of excessive praise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or practice of flattering; the act of pleasing by artful commendation or compliments; adulation; false, insincere, or excessive praise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who flatters; false, insincere, or venal praise; obsequiousness; adulation; cajolery.
- n. Synonyms Compliment, Adulation, Flattery, etc. (see adulation); sycophancy, fawning, blandishment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. excessive or insincere praise
Sorry, no etymologies found.