from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being insolent.
- n. An instance of insolent behavior, treatment, or speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Arrogant conduct; insulting, bold behaviour or attitude.
- v. To insult.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality of being unusual or novel.
- n. The quality of being insolent; pride or haughtiness manifested in contemptuous and overbearing treatment of others; arrogant contempt; brutal impudence.
- n. Insolent conduct or treatment; insult.
- transitive v. To insult.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being rare; unusualness.
- n. Overbearing or defiant behavior; scornful or presumptuous treatment of others; insulting speech or conduct.
- n. An insolent act; an instance of insolent treatment; an insult.
- n. Synonyms Pride, Presumption, etc. (see arrogance); rudeness, abusive language or conduct, sneering.
- To treat with haughty contempt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an offensive disrespectful impudent act
- n. the trait of being rude and impertinent; inclined to take liberties
Latin insolentia (Wiktionary)