American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being impertinent, especially:
- n. Insolence.
- n. Irrelevance.
- n. An impertinent act or statement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition or quality of being impertinent or irrelevant; the condition of not being appropriate to the matter in hand; irrelevance.
- n. That which is impertinent; that which is irrelevant or out of place, as in speech, writing, or manners.
- n. Conduct unbecoming the person, society, circumstances, etc.; incivility; presumption; forwardness.
- n. In law, matter (especially in a pleading or an affidavit) which is immaterial in substance, and from prolixity or extent is so inconvenient as to render its presence objectionable. Synonyms Pertness, Effrontery, etc. See
- To treat with impertinence, rudeness, or incivility; affect as with impertinence.
- n. uncountable Lack of pertinence; irrelevance.
- n. countable An instance of this; a moment of being impertinent.
- n. uncountable The fact or character of being out of place; inappropriateness.
- n. insolence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The condition or quality of being impertinent; absence of pertinence, or of adaptedness; irrelevance; unfitness.
- n. Conduct or language unbecoming the person, the society, or the circumstances; rudeness; incivility.
- n. That which is impertinent; a thing out of place, or of no value.
- n. an impudent statement
- n. the trait of being rude and impertinent; inclined to take liberties
- n. inappropriate playfulness
- French impertinence (Wiktionary)
“And then with more apologies for what he called his impertinence, he took his leave, and I felt altogether very much pleased and flattered.”
““Much impertinence is hydroscopic,” said the speaker on the translator console.”
“You think the thing said ‘Much impertinence is hydroscopic’?”
“I never thought well of her, pretending to drink nothing but water; and with that short, dry way, that I call impertinence; but I never thought she could be so lost till last night!”
“He expressed in strong terms his annoyance at what he called their impertinence, whilst I could not but laugh at his impatience, as well as at the mortification of the unfortunate pedestrians, whose eagerness to see him, I said, was, in my opinion, highly flattering to him.”
“Very soon after, this anxiety was tinctured with a feeling more severe; he saw her spoken to negligently by Sir Sedley – he required, after what he had already himself deemed impertinence from the Baronet, that she should have assumed to him a distant dignity; but he perceived, on the contrary, that she answered him with pleasant alacrity, and, when not engaged by Mrs. Berlinton, attended to him, even with distinction.”
“All the Branghtons called to take leave of me; but I will not write a word more about them: indeed I cannot, with any patience, think of that family, to whose forwardness and impertinence is owing all the uneasiness I at this moment suffer!”
“I call it impertinence," the lady went on, "and very well-grown impertinence too – from a child like that!”
“If someone insults me and I become angry, his impertinence will be the aspect of his behavior that fits the formal object of anger: I only become angry once I construe the person's remark as a slight; the specific nature of my emotion's formal object is a function of my appraisal of the situation.”
“A bold, swelling, arrogant effrontery -- a sort of stark, staring, self-complacent, comfortable, and yet innocent impertinence, which is at once irritating and amusing, aggravating and attractive, and which is exhibited in the greatest intensity in the whisky-john.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘impertinence’.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
words that pique my interest either by meaning, pronunciation, or spelling, and words that otherwise tickle my fancy!!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
Looking for tweets for impertinence.