from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Lack of respect, esteem, or courteous regard.
- transitive v. To show a lack of respect for: disrespected her elders; disrespected the law.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lack of respect, esteem or courteous behaviour.
- v. To show a lack of respect to someone or something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Want of respect or reverence; disesteem; incivility; discourtesy.
- transitive v. To show disrespect to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To have or show no respect for; hold in disesteem.
- n. Want of respect or reverence; manifestation of disesteem; incivility.
- n. Synonyms Discourtesy, impoliteness, slight, neglect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a manner that is generally disrespectful and contemptuous
- n. a disrespectful mental attitude
- v. show a lack of respect for
- v. have little or no respect for; hold in contempt
- n. an expression of lack of respect
He's angry with me for what he calls my disrespect, and also for misusing the word "ubiquitous."
He himself was not guiltless of that irreverence which he defined as disrespect for another man's god.
In Soviet Russian culture, the sign of disrespect is communicated by removing your shoe, pounding it upon your desk.
I fought for this country for freedome of speech, but downright disrespect is appalling.
Those on the left treated Bush with disrespect from the beginning.
Although, I believe, the magnitude of disrespect is skin deep.
This ugly display of disrespect is unwarranted and near inexplicable.
Why anybody would be dumb enough to pick Green Berets to disrespect is beyond me!
In and of themselves, what that small group of literati snobs thinks of SF&F doesn't matter a bit ... in fact, from many such people (though by no means all, as snobs can be found in all genres) disrespect is a badge of honour and should be taken as such.
Politics aside, disagreements yes, defiance and disrespect is not acceptable, should not be tolerated and enough is enough.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.