American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To regard with contempt or scorn: despised all cowards and flatterers.
- v. To dislike intensely; loathe: despised the frigid weather in January.
- v. To regard as unworthy of one's interest or concern: despised any thought of their own safety.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To look down upon; contemn; scorn; disdain.
- To reject; throw away.
- To look upon; contemplate.
- Synonyms Contemn, Disdain, etc. See scorn.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To look down upon with disfavor or contempt; to contemn; to scorn; to disdain; to have a low opinion or contemptuous dislike of.
- v. look down on with disdain
- From Middle English despisen, from Old French despis-, stem of despire, from Latin despicere, present active infinitive of dēspiciō ("I look down upon, despise, scorn"), from de ("down") + speciō ("I look at, behold"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English despisen, from Old French despire, despis-, from Latin dēspicere : dē-, de- + specere, to look; see spek- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Christmas Retail. and the 'plastic crap' you despise is possibly less offensive than the really costly items that media informs young minds they could should would expect.”
“Because of this, the impetus to engage in violent fantasy, even of those whom we most righteously despise, is not something to be encouraged.”
“But what I really despise is an acronym that I only recently encountered, “RoVA.””
“Badawin despise all half-breeds (Arab sires and country mares),”
“Well I'd like to think this new Canada you despise is still Juno Beach-capable, without being Chinese Exclusion Act-capable.”
“People throw around the word despise when it comes to him.”
“But what I despise is the disingenuous politician who uses the war as a partisan front for his or his party’s own agenda.”
“The pluralism they so despise, which is vital to the success of diverse, contemporary societies, is particularly vulnerable in the age of terror.”
“And so continually flying forth and returning, it weaves endless bonds between the infinitesimal and the infinite, forgetting how to despise, which is the heavenly science.”
“Reputation is power, and consequently to despise is to weaken.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘despise’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
These words seem very familiar but are awfully-versatile and oftentimes serve senses exceptionally beyond people's presumptions ...
reading 2 articles a week and here will reference unknown words, weekly!
Daily Vocab List
for enhancement of any English test
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
the words that i forgot or learnt today
Looking for tweets for despise.