from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To dislike intensely; abhor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To dislike intensely; to loathe.
- v. To witness against; to denounce; to condemn.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To witness against; to denounce; to condemn.
- transitive v. To hate intensely; to abhor; to abominate; to loathe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hold worthy of malediction; execrate; hate; dislike intensely: as, to detest crimes or meanness.
- Synonyms Abhor, Detest, etc. (see hate); to execrate, View with horror.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. dislike intensely; feel antipathy or aversion towards
You know I am only six miles away -- little more than half an hour's drive, and though I hate Bartram, and detest Silas -- Yes, I _detest
But what I detest is the attitude you display in your responses … …. patronising and belittling.
I\'d use the word detest, but then I might be accused by apologists like Fred Barnes of harboring an irrational hatred of Bush.
I’d use the word detest, but then I might be accused by apologists like Fred Barnes of harboring an irrational hatred of Bush.
By and large, I hate - perhaps I should add "detest" - these Wall Street
To use a phrase I detest just 4 fun - repeat and rinse.
It's a process members detest, which is why many have wished Rangel would resign, getting them off the hook for having to judge their colleague.
Assuming you are correct and not just biased in your assumption that people "detest" Hillary, she has no one to blame but herself and her campaign for it.
Dixon, "detest" and whine to your heart's content.
While we both enjoy meeting new people for the sake of meeting new and interesting people, we also both kind of detest the sort of meeting new people for the mere sake of using them for career advancement.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.