American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To take into the body by the mouth for digestion or absorption. See Synonyms at eat.
- v. To take in and absorb as food: "Marine ciliates ... can be observed ... ingesting other single-celled creatures and harvesting their chloroplasts” ( Carol Kaesuk Yoon).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put, bring, or throw in: used chiefly of the introduction of substances, as food, into the body.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To take into, or as into, the stomach or alimentary canal.
- v. To take into the body by any means, as by inhalation, injection, absorption, as well as through the mouth.
- v. take up mentally
- v. serve oneself to, or consume regularly
- From Latin ingerere ("to carry in") (Wiktionary)
- Latin ingerere, ingest- : in-, in; see in-2 + gerere, to carry. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Tearing apart dead animals for the spawn to ingest is a popular tradition during the holidays.”
“Let me try to put this as delicately as I can out of respect to my female readers ... but some women have been known to willingly "ingest" a certain dubious "body fluid" made by men, during moments of”
“These robots, written in Ruby perform the sub-processes that make up SDR 2.0 modules such as ingest and retrieval.”
“It may be possible that you are now so sensitive to the energy of suffering that you can literally no longer "ingest" it.”
“When tumor cells "ingest" the nanoparticles through the cell membrane, the particles release the inhibitor.”
“Mr. Wilkin said a search engine will be added to the project's home page soon, and that members are quickly working to "ingest" their digital books into the shared library.”
“(i.e., from "ingest" to "checksum"), both for increased control of processes as well as for throughput.”
“by truely living organisms and are either then ingested (much as a paramecium will' ingest 'strings of free-floating DNA) and by default should be considered to be' information data packets 'that have come to exist because they have evolutionary advantage to the organisms which are able to use the nucleic acid's data.”
“It is amusing to watch folks wearing masks agreed by all medical professionals to be of no value in protecting the wearers from respiratory disease and realize that these same goobers would sit in some roadside taco joint with no sanitary facilities and ingest tacos coated with indiscernable human excrement.”
“Recycled materials are also acceptable, as garbage and debris pose a threat to coastal wildlife that ingest or otherwise become entangled in discarded trash and lost fishing gear.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ingest’.
Includes any intangible conceivable independently of Hom. Sap.
The path meanders through the vineyards
*interesting* -nge/-nge- words
Looking for tweets for ingest.