from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To swallow greedily or rapidly in large amounts: gulp down coffee.
- transitive v. To choke back by or as if by swallowing.
- intransitive v. To choke or gasp, as in swallowing large amounts of liquid.
- intransitive v. To swallow air audibly, as in nervousness.
- n. The act of gulping.
- n. A large amount swallowed at one time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The usual amount swallowed.
- n. The sound of swallowing.
- n. A sound of swallowing indicating fear.
- v. To swallow.
- v. To react nervously by swallowing.
- interj. Indication of an involuntary fear reaction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of taking a large mouthful; a swallow, or as much as is awallowed at once.
- n. A disgorging.
- transitive v. To swallow eagerly, or in large draughts; to swallow up; to take down at one swallow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To swallow eagerly or in large draughts; hence, figuratively (with down), to repress (emotion) as if by swallowing it.
- n. An act of swallowing; a swallow; also, as much as is swallowed at once.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to swallow hurriedly or greedily or in one draught
- n. a spasmodic reflex of the throat made as if in swallowing
- v. utter or make a noise, as when swallowing too quickly
- n. a large and hurried swallow
Every gulp is conscious, difficult, near-desperate, the flailing of a decked fish.
Think about it, if you went to med school you'd still be in ... gulp ... school.
He takes a gulp from a flask of brackish water and strains in the saddle as his horse slips and rights itself, sending stones bouncing down a steep, dry slope.
There's nothing for it but to - "gulp" - open the can.
Yes | No | Report from fishallday wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago better call the gulp guy, we've got an infestation on our hands!
While, the reaction of the leading executives to the incident in the gulp is a sign that leadership in the industry is becoming more connected with the possibilities of failures leading to similar catastrophes, much of the responsibility sits with the various boards of directors and the governance procedures which are supposed to guide them.
It is found that ment of disease does not predestine only three met - the method of treatment of disease in the time of the hods of healing namely a gulp of honey, cupping, and Prophet (s. a.w) was considered advance method gi - branding with fire (cauterizing).
I could hear a distinguishable "gulp" eminating from Colonel W-S's throat.
And do those fleshy tongues and that squishy eyeball make you want to take a swig of Coke Zero, or simply say "gulp"?
Then Cora, she gave a funny kind of gulp that ended in a moan.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.