American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To weep aloud with convulsive gasping; cry uncontrollably. See Synonyms at cry.
- v. To make a sound resembling that of loud weeping.
- v. To utter with sobs.
- v. To put or bring (oneself) into a specified condition by sobbing: sob oneself to sleep.
- n. The act or sound of sobbing.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To sigh strongly with a sudden heaving of the breast or a kind of convulsive motion; weep with convulsive catchings of the breath.
- To make a sound resembling a sob.
- To give forth or utter with sobs; particularly, to say with sobbing.
- In lute-playing, to deaden the tone of by damping the string, or relaxing the finger by which it is stopped.
- n. A convulsive heaving of the breast and inspiration of breath, under the impulse of painful emotion, and accompanied with weeping; a strong or convulsive sigh. It consists of a short, convulsive, somewhat noisy respiratory movement.
- n. A sound resembling the sobbing of a human being.
- To sup; suck up.
- To sop; soak with a liquid.
- To frighten.
- n. a cry with a short, sudden expulsion of breath.
- v. intransitive to weep with convulsive gasps.
- v. transitive to say (something) while sobbing.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To soak.
- v. To sigh with a sudden heaving of the breast, or with a kind of convulsive motion; to sigh with tears, and with a convulsive drawing in of the breath.
- n. The act of sobbing; a convulsive sigh, or inspiration of the breath, as in sorrow.
- n. Any sorrowful cry or sound.
- v. weep convulsively
- n. insulting terms of address for people who are stupid or irritating or ridiculous
- n. a dyspneic condition
- n. convulsive gasp made while weeping
- Middle English sobben, perhaps of Low German origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I'm going to go sob in the corner of the library where books are kept, far away from the video shelves. *sob sob*”
“Oui moi j'dis j'ai eu les boules a c'te scene du jeu * sob sob*”
“Yeah but OW!! for one thing .. they're a size too big since I inherited them from beccarat and I'm not yet large enough to be a size 5 * sob sob* and also .. yeah just OW!!!”
“And eventually, he'd fail. * sob sob* Bella should be with Edward.”
“I miss my Dean, I love my baby Ryaaan. * sob sob sob*”
“Something to engage her from the love-split trauma, * sob sob*”
“*sob sob sob*, seems exactly the same thnig to me works so much better considering he ADDRESSED THIS IN HIS REVIEW.”
“* sob sob sob* this too shall pass .. this too shall pass. (yeah, it's all those years of Catholic school ingrained into my head!)”
“Well, why did he dare to [_sob, sob_] -- did he see anything light about me, that he [_sob, sob, sob_] -- oh, dear! oh, dear! is it for this I came up from my little peaceful place in the west [_sob, sob, sob_]?”
“I forgot that I have an essay due in tomorrow, and a biology ISA - which I didn't do the experiment for & a geography presentation. lovejbandhs Geography & Science homework = bulldozed;) lauramiaow My geography is finally starting to sound good, what a pity i missed the effing deadline ... * sob sob*”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sob’.
With the exception of abbreviations and mosaic words all types of words (proper names, past tense of verbs, etc.) are allowed.
Single verbs that describe expression or emotional reaction. "He __ed" (smiled/gulped/scoffed...)
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that describe sound
Imagine my joy when I was wearing my calculator watch and was first introduced to someone named Leslie - there was exactly enough room on the display for 317537.14.
Edit: I've discove...
A list of English words that are three letters long.
These are some words I didn't know when I read and now I want to know!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
My big word list.
Words from 2009 'Watchmen' film.
for the character building workshop in 3 ESO
Looking for tweets for sob.