from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To cry out suddenly or vehemently, as from surprise or emotion: The children exclaimed with excitement.
- transitive v. To express or utter (something) suddenly or vehemently: exclaimed her surprise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cry out suddenly, from some strong emotion.
- n. Exclamation; outcry, clamor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Outcry; clamor.
- v. To cry out from earnestness or passion; to utter with vehemence; to call out or declare loudly; to protest vehemently; to vociferate; to shout.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cry out; speak with vehemence; make a loud outcry in words: as, to exclaim against oppression; to exclaim with wonder or astonishment.
- To say loudly or vehemently; cry out: as, he exclaimed, I will not!
- n. Outcry; clamor; exclamation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy
- v. state or announce
What would she do if she weren't such a "tough woman," exclaim "My word!" and faint?
Am I the only one who wanted to use this synonym for "exclaim" to comment on the "Erupting" cake?
"Mother Jerusalem" exclaim: "My liver is poured upon the earth for the destruction of the daughter of my people", meaning that her life is spent with grief.
Let this not seem an anti-climax: -- 'Oh! My guard! my old guard exclaim'd!' exclaim'd that god of day.
The gout is made half easy. ") 'O, when,' exclaim'd the sad disease,
If he actually got that, why would he exclaim “What the hell?” at the Charles in Charge reference (he telegraphed it right at the start, “Charles and Buddy” are the main characters in Charles in Charge)?
“High school sweethearts?” people always exclaim after they ask how we met.
Rising from my chair, driven by the energy that threatens to burst my skin, I exclaim, “Mordred has bided his time for a thousand years, growing in power, becoming something unimaginable, and you tell me it is early yet?”
Offended that the diaper cream of their generation was no longer the salve of choice, they would exclaim, Butt Paste?
As a matter of personal discipline, he trained himself to exclaim, “Excellent!” no matter how dire the information might seem.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.