American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make the shrill cry characteristic of a hen after laying an egg.
- v. To laugh or talk in a shrill manner.
- v. To utter in cackles: cackled a sarcastic reply.
- n. The act or sound of cackling.
- n. Shrill laughter.
- n. Foolish chatter.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To utter a noisy succession of thin, shrill, broken notes: specifically used of the cry made by a hen after laying an egg or by a goose when excited or alarmed.
- To laugh with a broken noise like the cackling of a goose; giggle.
- To prate: prattle; tattle; talk in a silly manner.
- n. The shrill repeated cry of a goose or hen.
- n. Idle talk; silly prattle.
- Nautical, to wind right and left alternately: as, to cackle a cable.
- n. The cry of a hen, especially when laying an egg
- n. A laugh resembling the cry of a hen.
- v. intransitive To laugh with a sound similar to a hen's cry.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make a sharp, broken noise or cry, as a hen or goose does.
- v. To laugh with a broken noise, like the cackling of a hen or a goose; to giggle.
- v. To talk in a silly manner; to prattle.
- n. The sharp broken noise made by a goose or by a hen that has laid an egg.
- n. Idle talk; silly prattle.
- n. the sound made by a hen after laying an egg
- v. talk or utter in a cackling manner
- v. emit a loud, unpleasant kind of laughing
- n. noisy talk
- n. a loud laugh suggestive of a hen's cackle
- v. squawk shrilly and loudly, characteristic of hens
- Middle English cakelen, probably from Middle Low German kākeln, of imitative origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“* cackle, cackle* "I don't know what you're talking about.”
“He describes Clinton's laugh as a "cackle" -- which led to the Politico's Mike Allen telling him, "Chris, first of all, 'cackle' is a very sexist term.”
“Here are some common dictionary definitions of "cackle," none of which are appropriate in the context of Palin's tweet: cack·le (kkl) v. intr.”
“They label Senator Clinton's laugh a "cackle" while saying nothing about how Senator Obama's accent varies according to where he is speaking.”
“There have been all sorts of idiotic stories like the "cackle" (which actually could have been legitimate -- is she avoiding the question?) and her "coldness" or "calculated tears" but on the other hand, no-one has seriously scrutinised Clinton's claimed "35 years of experience" either.”
“Hillary, as has been the case for years, got crappy treatment from the media mostly based on stupid, non-factors like a "cackle", and driven by irrational Clinton hatred (see - Dowd, Maureen; Rich, Frank; Sullivan, Andrew; Matthews, Chris; etc.)”
“There's no polite way to put this: The coverage of Hillary's" cackle "was simply sick to its core.”
“The "cackle" was important because she hid behind it.”
“There's no polite way to put this: The coverage of Hillary's "cackle" was simply sick to its core.”
“English comes equipped with several terms for describing false laughter, and one of them is "cackle".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cackle’.
Words formed in imitation of the sound of the things they signify.
Single verbs that describe expression or emotional reaction. "He __ed" (smiled/gulped/scoffed...)
words (seemingly) formed in imitation of a natural sound
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that describe sound
Animal sounds in different languages, and the verbs that specify them.
Since Georgetown took down their page, the current definitive website for this information is:
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words that end like pickle. Listed here because they're funny (because they end like pickle).
Words that speak humor
words are fashionable -wane and wax - in usage. This is an open list of those words now out of fashion.
Feel good words.
uncategorized words that I enjoy
Words that are fun to say....
Looking for tweets for cackle.