from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To laugh in a restrained, nervous way; giggle.
- n. A nervous giggle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nervous or repressed giggle.
- v. To laugh or giggle in a somewhat subdued manner.
- v. To teeter; to seesaw.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A restrained laugh.
- intransitive v. To seesaw. See teeter.
- transitive v. To laugh with the tongue striking against the root of the upper teeth; to laugh with restraint, or without much noise; to giggle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To move back and forth; sway; waver.
- To teeter; seesaw.
- To tremble.
- To laugh in a restrained or nervous manner, as from suppressed mirth, pleasure, or embarrassment; giggle; snicker.
- n. A restrained or nervous laugh; a giggle; a snicker. There's a titter of winds in that beechen tree.
- n. A weed, probably the hairy vetch. See tine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. laugh nervously
- n. a nervous restrained laugh
Her standing out in the room was the signal for a convulsed titter from the other prisoners.
"Prefer chaney to cricket?" asked Urquhart's uncle, with his agreeable laugh that was too attractive to be described as a titter, a name that its high, light quality might have suggested.
Or rather, she read the first two pages, gave the kind of titter that frightens dogs and small children, then announced with finality, Well, you have some good lines here.
Suddenly curious noise, that I'm told is known as a titter, interrupted me, and, before I had quite finished, there was a boisterous roar of laughter. "
"This came in the morning post," he ventured apologetically and with the hint of a titter.
Instead of manic tears flowing down their cheeks, each little titter was weighed and savored; good God, she said one night
I so remember that product, and how the name tanked it when the AIDS crisis hit … and how the product made some kids in high school titter. o_O
It was such a welcome release of tension that both of them started to titter, which succeeded in drawing curious looks at the pair of laughing loonys.
It would seem to be a born of the same zeitgeist that brought us Avenue Q; our desire to titter at the incongruity of naughty and innocent.
The little titter of laughter faded quickly as members of the audience realized they were going to comply -- they wanted to comply -- with Fred's suggestion.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.